The kitchen is one of the easiest in-sight places to have a mold infestation because of plumbing and appliances that can collect mold without being too obvious. You may be a very tidy person, but mold capitalizes in any neglected place, and there are many opportunities for that neglect in the kitchen.
- Under the sink: Leaky pipes are one of the most common sources of mold because the moisture may go undetected for a long amount of time. Those who wish to prevent mold from growing under the sink should periodically clean beneath the sink and check for moisture. Sometimes, a slow leak can create moisture without an obvious mess. That is why a thorough cleaning is necessary to be sure all is dry.
- In the drain: Your drain is responsible for being a passage for dirty water, which means food debris and other contaminants get stuck to the sides of the pipes once in a while. After some time, your drain will get that familiar foul odor of mold. You may not be able to see it, but you’ll be able to smell it.
- Window sill: Kitchen windows are a notorious place for mold contamination because of the condensation of moisture on the glass itself. This can be from old windows that are not insulated, but even new windows can have this problem because of the sink or other moisture sources such as steam from boiling water.
- Range hood: Your range hood is a common place for mold to hide. Vented hoods should not accumulate mold unless they are not working properly. Non-vented hoods can capture moisture in the filter. This is why it should be changed regularly.
- Around the refrigerator: Your refrigerator is a mold risk because of its drip pan, and it can also accumulate mold if the water line or dispenser is leaking. Some of this is a regular maintenance issue, but if you are getting too much moisture in your drip pan, it may be time to call a repairman.
- Behind the dishwasher: Anywhere that has a water hookup can become a source of mold because of leaks. A dishwasher is no exception. Make sure each fastener is tight and sealed, and you won’t end up with a huge mold infestation that goes unnoticed for way too long.
Having a mold infestation doesn’t mean you don’t keep a tidy kitchen. Mold is sneaky! That is why it is important to look for mold instead of waiting for it to show itself. If the infestation is large, consider hiring a professional mold removal service. They can remove mold hazards safely and effectively, so you don’t have to worry about a constant mold recurrence.