At the end of July, Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro declared that he had recovered from the COVID-19 coronavirus but was now suffering from mold in his lungs. It is not clear whether this was accurate or if he was suffering long lasting effects from the virus, but in reality, both could be true. The lungs are vulnerable to mold exposures, especially when someone is already suffering from another illness that affects the lungs.
Mold can cause lung diseases via two methods: allergic and non-allergic. Allergic reactions to mold are the most common, and they cause an immune response that can make the lungs irritated and cause symptoms. Non-allergic mold reactions also cause inflammation in the lungs. Lung diseases that can develop from mold exposures include pneumonia, asthma, bronchitis, and lung infections. Especially in immunocompromised individuals, lung diseases caused by mold can kill.
Lungs are so vulnerable to mold because the upper respiratory tract is essentially open to the outside environment. It is easy for mold to get in. Add to this the fact that mold exists nearly everywhere, and the vulnerability is easy to understand.
However, not all individuals are susceptible to lung diseases from mold. Many people are not sensitive to it, and they’re able to fight away moderate amounts of mold. Still, all mold infestations within buildings should be handled appropriately in order to avoid the risk.
Whether or not coronavirus enhances the risk of mold exposure isn’t something that has been highlighted by the media. It is likely that scientists don’t know, as research takes time. However, lung disease from mold has proven to be exacerbated by other viruses that turned mold exposures deadly.
The most important thing to do if you suspect you have a mold problem is to be vigilant in getting it cleaned up. This means thoroughly cleaning the area while wearing personal protective equipment and removing contaminated materials such as carpet or drywall. If the area impacted by mold infestation is larger than 10 square feet, it is recommended that you hire professional mold remediation services. They will ensure that your mold problem is handled completely and safely. They will also help you to identify the reasons for your mold problem and how it can be corrected.
Many people are so concerned about the novel coronavirus that they let other health hazards go unnoticed. Unfortunately, letting mold problems go could create a particularly dangerous health situation.