Toxic Ceiling Mold: Looking Above the Obvious

Ceiling mold or commonly known as “toxic ceiling mold” has become the reason for many respiratory issues caused by toxic mold spores in the ceiling of homes and businesses. Many times ceiling mold goes undetected for a long time due to the visible side of the ceiling being painted and doesn’t show the mold growth on the backside or paper-side of the drywall.  Ceiling mold is most often found in bedrooms but can be found anywhere in the home that moisture from above has been a problem. Just like other toxic molds, ceiling mold can grow and multiply at a very fast pace. To live a healthy and happy life, it is important for you to get rid of mold at the first sign that a problem may be present. Mold is capable of making your life miserable and only continues to become a bigger problem the longer it is left unresolved. You are going to learn simple steps on how to get rid of toxic ceiling mold as the article unfolds.

1. Find the Source of Toxic Ceiling Mold

Getting rid of the source that is causing the ceiling mold to live and grow is the first and foremost step. Mostly, the mold grows due to water or elevated humidity. Common causes are leaking roofs, leaking plumbing, high humidity that causes condensation to form, etc. Check your ceilings often and repair any leaks. 

2. Make Sure There is a Proper Air Circulation and Ventilation

Kitchen and bathrooms are the places that are usually exposed to improper ventilation and air circulation. As a result, molds come and grow there. To avoid these toxic creatures, get an exhaust fan or the extractor. This is one of the most often overlooked causes of mold. Mold cannot thrive in a dry environment. This includes, letting the sunshine and natural air come inside. Mold love darkness and they thrive the most when you block the passage of free-flowing air and sunlight. If you want to avoid natural air due to allergies, it is recommended to have your HVAC unit serviced bi-annually to insure that your unit is functioning properly to remove any excess humidity from the air. 

3. Have Your Home Insulation Inspected

Poor insulation can lead to mold growth on floors and ceilings alike. Basically, the condensation process occurs when there is cold air outside and warm air inside. When the inner warm and humid air meets the outer cold air, it causes condensation that ultimately leads to mold development. Insulation provides a barrier between the two different types of air; thereby preventing mold growth. We see that attic mold and ice dams are most often caused by inadequate insulation. 

4. Use a Humidifier and Avoid Humidity

Mold loves humidity! We recommended dehumidifiers in areas of your home or businesses that are prone to continual and prolonged moisture. The most common reason in the Kansas City area, is for basements that have ongoing water leaks. Ideally, it is best to repair the cause of the leak and resolve long term. However, in our area with shifting foundations and extreme dry summers and soaking rain, many homeowners find themselves dealing with ongoing basements leaks despite the efforts to repair. 

If you have any questions or concerns about a potential mold problem in your home or business please call and speak with one of our mold professionals for a hassle-free phone consultation and/or a free mold estimate. We would be happy to help you work through your mold concerns!

Please follow and like us:
error