When black mold is detected, it is a major health concern. It must be removed. Part of that process is reducing the moisture in the environment, and a dehumidifier is a great option.
Don’t be fooled into thinking the mold is gone just because you don’t see it. Low humidity will only deactivate mold spores. They will still be there waiting for the day the power goes out, you forget to dump the unit, or you unplug the dehumidifier thinking the problem is gone.
It is very common for black mold to show itself in unfinished basements or crawlspaces where moisture can easily gain access. Once the moisture has entered these places, they must be sealed, but it can be difficult to get them dry without a dehumidifier. In the meantime, black mold starts its ugly entrance into the home.
A humidity level above 60 percent will promote mold growth. Therefore, setting the dehumidifier at 50% will be effective in eliminating mold growth an inactivating current mold spores.
Why have a dehumidifier?
Stops Growth: Once mold is detected, it has already started to spread. If you want effective elimination of mold and control of the spread, reduce the humidity.
Inactivates Spores: If there are inactive spores in the home, they are still dangerous. If inhaled, they will become active due to the moisture in the body. They need to be removed. Still, it is better to have inactive spores in the home than active in order to eliminate some symptoms of mold growth.
Prevents Future Growth: Even after mold has been removed, there is still risk for mold growth in humid environments. Having a humidifier prevents future occurrences of mold infestations.
Dehumidifier Buying Tips
1. Drainage: If you don’t have access to a floor drain, you may want to consider a dehumidifier with a pump to drain into a sink. Otherwise, you’ll be dumping the collection bucket regularly.
2. Square Footage: Pay attention to the dampness and square footage of the area you want to dry. Make sure your dehumidifier meets that capacity.
3. Efficiency: Make sure your dehumidifier is energy efficient. It may be on for quite a while, and you don’t want to increase your utility bills by buying an inefficient piece of equipment.
Ultimately, a dehumidifier is a great resource when dealing with mold in the home, but it does not eliminate the problem.
If you are concerned about mold removal in your home, call a specialist. A dehumidifier helps, but a professional will ensure mold spores are properly removed from your home.