Mold Kills a Child in Seattle Hospital
July 7, 2019 Comments Off on Mold Kills a Child in Seattle Hospital Indoor Air Quality, Mold Symptoms Ben Fetzer

Mold can be a health hazard in many residential and commercial buildings but rarely is it deadly. Unfortunately, recently mold kills a child at Seattle’s Children’s Hospital. The killer? Aspergillus, and it has caused infections in five other patients.

The hospital has closed its operating rooms, as patients are at the highest risk of infection in the operating room. This horrible tragedy that has killed one. Now, it is considered a low risk to patients. Because the ORs are closed.

The hospital knew it was having trouble with Aspergillus in its air circulation system for the past year. However, the decision-makers had been fighting the infestation with intermittent success. Some of the patients, including the one who died, were infected last year. The hospital will not reopen its ORs until all threats of the mold are remediated.

Aspergillus infections typically happen in the lungs. It can cause people to have fevers, chest pain, and difficulty breathing. This form of mold exposure is treated with antifungal medication. However, sometimes the “fungal balls” have to be removed surgically.

It All Started with the Ventilation System

You cannot avoid Aspergilli, and it is common for it to occur in air vents. People inhale it every day with no problems. A weakened immune system can increase the risk of infection and increase the effects of infection. Thankfully it is not common that mold kills a child.

While mold is common to all environments, it is very common to see it build up in air handlers. Because of condensation and moisture that can occur there. So, it is kind of a paradox. Because proper airflow is a step to remove mold risk. However, the air handlers that create flow add to the risk. Seattle Children’s Hospital has replaced one air handling system. Also, they sealed its leaks and added to cleaning protocols to prevent any more deaths.

To call this child’s death unfortunate barely begins to describe this terrible tragedy. But there is something we can learn from it. Mold can cause health problems, and it can be deadly. The publicizing of this hospital’s mold infestation should serve as a reminder. To all people that mold is something to take seriously. Mold is everywhere, and it will infest any moist, stagnant area if given the proper growing accommodations.

Tags
About The Author
Ben Fetzer Ben Fetzer, is the founder and owner of Fresh Start Restoration of Kansas City. He is passionate about informing and educating you the customer. By providing you with insider industry information, he empowers you with knowledge and tools to properly compare companies and spot unethical sales practices. Which unfortunately is far too common in the mold remediation industry. By sharing stories and providing professional tips he gives you the ability to make the right decision for your mold problem! Ben is an experienced mold expert with over 15 years in the cleaning & restoration industry! He has received official training and certifications from the IICRC, ICRA, and NORMI. His history of high integrity and superior quality has made him a leader in the remediation industry. Thereby giving customers outstanding customer experience! Which has resulted in a long history of consistent 5-Star customer ratings since the company began in 2008!