Mold exists nearly everywhere, and it waits for a suitable environment to grow. Then, it explodes, and you may end up removing walls, carpets, and personal belongings to get rid of it. Not all mold is toxic, but toxic black mold can create a big health hazard for you and your family. Normally, toxic black mold will cause respiratory problems. In children, it is often blamed for asthma caused by long-term exposure to toxic black mold. In adults, it is also a health hazard, and long-term exposure can have many undesired health consequences. A vigilant person can remove many risks for toxic black mold growth, but removing it from the air is a sure way to keep you and your family protected from the consequences of toxic mold growth. Keeping your air mold-free is easy if you have the right equipment.
An air purifier with a HEPA air filter will remove most of the mold from the air. HEPA stands for High Efficiency Particulate Air, and HEPA filters are great at removing microscopic organisms like mold. They will catch almost 100 percent of all small particulates in the air, and they cannot grow there because HEPA filters are a dry environment. Mold spores are on average one to five microns in size, and HEPA filters remove particulates as small as 0.3 microns. Basically, if you get an air purifier, it is doubtful you will suffer the harmful effects of toxic black mold unless you have a pretty apparent hazardous situation.
A minimum efficiency reporting value (MERV) on an air filter for your HVAC unit will tell you how much it is going to protect you from tainted air. Effecting air mold-free reality. The higher the MERV value, the higher the filtration rate. There are multiple options for cleaning the air that has to do with HVAC systems. Your concern should be how much they impact the efficiency of the system. This is why a high MERV rating is your best bet.
Air conditioners are notorious culprits for mold growth, but a lot of the risk can be eliminated by cleaning your AC unit. Make sure you clean the filter, as mold can grow in the filter unlike in a HEPA filter.
A dehumidifier can cause mold spores to become inactive, which renders them “safe.” They are still able to reactivate, so they are not completely safe. Humidity should be kept below 60 percent and preferably below 50 percent.
Bathrooms and kitchens are notorious for mold growth because of the heat and moisture combination. The only thing that can add fuel to the fire is not having an exhaust fan! Exhaust fans allow moisture to escape keeping mold at bay.