We have thousands of examples of mold that was not visible on the surface. Because hidden mold is the cornerstone of the mold remediation industry. It is the dangerous and toxic side of the mold. So cleaning only the surface mold, when a deeper problem is present. It’s like putting a band-aid on a deep wound that needs stitches. Sub-surface mold will continue to grow at a rampant pace and continue to put off harmful mycotoxins.
This the season for sickness, as the common cold and flu are easily passed between us all! Our Kansas City metro area seems to be especially bad for people with respiratory issues from the winter blues to the lengthy allergy seasons. So it can be easy to dismiss our sore throats and runny noses as part of the Kansas City seasons. However, if your sickness is lasting longer than normal or recurring then further consideration of hidden mold in your home should be given.
When water travels it passes through multiple layers of drywall, timber, insulation, and materials. Each layer of these materials absorbs the water and grows fungi. As it sits in wall cavities and other hidden, dark places without air, this becomes the place where mold grows. We have thousands of examples of mold that was not visible on the surface. Because hidden mold is the cornerstone of the mold remediation industry.
Inside wall cavities are the number one area hidden mold is found! All types of wall materials easily hide the presence of mold growth. However, mold loves drywall most of all! Drywall is made, with thick sheets of paper on each side covering the gypsum plaster. The paper material makes drywall the number one food source of mold! We discard more drywall materials due to mold damage than any other type. Drywall also absorbs moisture on the backside, closed off to airflow. Creating a dark and damp atmosphere with an easy food source for hidden mold to grow rapidly. We have seen mold grow over five times its original size in as little as 2 months. Due to the prime conditions that moisture-filled drywall produces for mold growth.
- Sinus Pressure
- Sore Throat
- Shortness of Breath
- Chronic Cough
- Weezing or Prolonger Respiratory Issues
- Loss of Balance or Dizzyness
- Morning Stiffness or Joint Pain
- Fatigue and Depression
- Unexplained Weight Changes
- Rashes and Skin Issues
The presence of mold in your home can have a big impact on your health. Being exposed to high levels of mold can suppress or hinder your immune system from working the way it is supposed to, which makes you much more susceptible to seasonal illnesses. Mold doesn’t affect everyone the same way, so make sure you are aware of all the different ways your body can react. The most serious reactions to mold are for those with mold allergies or respiratory conditions such as asthma. While it may be easy to confuse these conditions with cold or flu symptoms, it is important to look into them and make sure that mold is not playing into the situation. Breathing in the dust, with mold spores can also cause irritation to your lungs to the point where it can become a serious lung condition. There are even cases of people developing asthma from extensive exposure to mold.
You can have your home inspected for mold by a professional to determine if mold could be a factor. At FreshStart Restoration we provide mold inspections, mold air testing, and free estimates. In addition, we can advise on how to prevent mold from occurring. We will take the time to go through your home and make sure there are no places where mold has begun to grow. We will work directly with you to take care of any issues that we may find and also provide counsel on how to fix and prevent problems. With over 10 years of customer satisfaction and a 5-star customer rating, you can rest assured that you will be in good hands with our mold professionals.
In the world of most contractor’s, unfortunately, the dangers of black mold exposure and improper removal are rarely considered. For someone who does not understand the volatile airborne properties of mold, it appears that mold removal is not a big deal and anyone can remove it. What most people don’t realize is often times this method of improper mold removal only makes the situation worse. Due to the dangers of black mold exposure, removal must be done with only one approach. With an emphasis on safety and with the help of a certified, experienced, and insured professional. If caution and precautions are not exercised spreading the contamination will be the end result. Mold spores are very small and become airborne at the smallest disturbance. That is why mold removal is done with similar protocols to asbestos removal and great care should be taken to follow EPA recommendations. We wish we could say that all mold professionals follow these protocols, but unfortunately, that isn’t so!