Bleach and mold
Bleach does NOT kill mold, and it is an acceptable way to remove mold from surfaces. Bleach will NOT kill bacteria, viruses, and mold if it comes into contact with it. This means it will not kill mold that is on/in your walls, carpets or wooden surfaces. The problem with mold is that you cannot see its spores, and if you are seeing it on your wall, it may have infiltrated other places.
Other Problems with Bleach
Bleach can eat through many materials and will damage metals and plastics if care is not taken. This is why it is commonly diluted before application.
2. Rough on Hands
If you’ve ever used bleach without gloves, you probably won’t be doing that again. It is very rough on the hands, and you’ll have dryness and irritation for days. Of course, this problem can be solved with gloves.
3. Dangerous if Mixed with other Chemicals
Possibly the biggest problem with bleach is its ability to become chloramine gas if mixed with other household cleaners containing ammonia. These mixtures can be deadly.
4. Dangerous to Breath
Many people have negative effects on breathing bleach fumes. It can be even more dangerous than breathing the mold spores.
Will Bleach Solve Your Mold Problem?
The answer to whether or not bleach will solve your mold problems is…sort of. Bleach will not kill mold. But it can get of rid of mold on non-porous surfaces. The problem is that mold rarely only shows up on non-porous surfaces. Porous surfaces often have an environment that is more attractive. Bleach will only “bleach” the color of mold. It will not kill mold.
If you are going to attempt to clean your mold problem with bleach, make sure the area is well-ventilated, wear gloves, and be thorough. You may want to wear eye protection to avoid splashes and burning from fumes.
Following your mold cleanup, consider calling a professional mold remediation service. They have the experience and knowledge to make sure you are not at risk for latent mold resurrection. If it is in your walls or carpet, these items will have to be removed from the home. This involves careful sealing of spaces and covering of removed items in order to stop the spread of spores.