Simple Tips for Smoke Odor Removal
Smoke odor removal is common need in rental properties, renovated properties, fire restoration and vehicles. No need to worry there are simple smoke odor removal techniques that you can use to get rid of the bad smells. Most often the steps necessary are determine upon the several of the smoke odor. Here are some practical steps depending on the level of smoke damage you are trying to remedy:
Minor Smoke Odor Removal
Minor smoke odor is the most common complaint. Often caused by a smoking visitor, kitchen accident or some other minor situation. The steps for minor smoke odor removal are simple and include items you probably already have in your home:
- The first and obvious step is to circulate with fresh air
- Followed by cleaning any smoke residue with household products like vinegar or baking soda.
- For stubborn smoke stains on a non-porous surface like tile, a homemade paste of baking soda and water provide outstanding results
- Open a bag of BBQ charcoal for minor smoke odors in the air
2. Substantial Smoke Odor Removal
We receive frequent calls from landlords, realtors & family members who are dealing with significant smoke odor problems due to heavy smokers who previously resided on the premises. It is astounding who hard it can be to get rid of cigarette smoke odor. We recommend the following steps to be followed in the order listed below. The measures needed to remove the smoke may vary and it is recommended to give time in-between steps to see if it resolve the odor problem before taking more costly measures:
- Turn off HVAC unit and add fresh air circulation throughout the property with opening windows and turning on attic fans. *Do not open windows during heavy rains or high humidity!
- Clean all surfaces with heavy duty de-greaser cleaner in hot water (spray bottle recommended). We recommend using a wide microfiber pad mop to clean large surfaces like ceilings, walls and floors. All surfaces must be cleaned thoroughly
- Clean carpets and fabrics thoroughly by a professional company that uses truck-mount extraction methods.
- Rent an ozone machine that can accommodate size of property, remove all living things (i.e. people, pets, plants, etc) from premises and run for a minimum of 12 hours.
- Have air vents cleaned by a professional company that uses “negative pressure to clean”.
- Remove carpet and pad if cleaning did not resolve odor and clean sub-floors thoroughly
- Paint all walls. If odor remains strong it is recommended to prime walls with heavy duty odor blocking primer like Kilz prior to painting.
If you find yourself dealing with a substantial smoke odor removal problem and need professional assistance, please don’t hesitate to give us a call. We would be happy to help walk you through your situation. Just give us a call at 816-287-4107!