When mold toxicity is mentioned, most people think of black mold. While black mold is one of the most harmful types of mold to humans, it is not the only mold categorized as toxic. There are actually five categories of toxic mold, and they can cause serious health conditions and possibly death for the person who is sensitive to mold.
- Cladosporium: This type of mold is very common indoors and outdoors, and it produces green, brown, and black colonies. Although is does not typically harm humans, cladosporium can cause infections in the skin, nails, sinuses, and lungs. It is also an allergen that can negatively affect asthmatics or those with respiratory illnesses.
- Penicilium: This mold that produces the wonder drug penicillin is also a toxic mold, but like cladosporium, it doesn’t usually harm humans. This is the same blue or green mold that grows on your bread in the right conditions. As far as toxicity goes, this mold also produces mycotoxins that can harm asthmatics, allergy sufferers, and those with respiratory illness.
- Fusarium: Most species of fusarium are harmless, and this mold typically exists in the soil. Some species can be very harmful to plants, and the mold does produces mycotoxins, so it has the potential to harm humans in a similar manner to cladosporium and penicilium. It can exacerbate respiratory conditions and cause allergic reactions.
- Aspergillus: The least harmful of the toxic molds, aspergillus is regularly breathed in and out by humans each day without issues. However, it can harm people with weakened immune systems and respiratory illnesses.
- Stachybotrys: Toxic black mold is in the genus stachybotrys, and this is the most harmful type of mold to humans. It is typically found inside when conditions are humid, and there is improper ventilation. There is some controversy over whether or not toxic black mold is responsible for some deaths, but many legal cases have been won where black mold was blamed for its health consequences. Black mold is the mold most people worry about when they call for mold removal services, and it is no wonder. It is possible that it is deadly to those who are sensitive to it.
If you think you have a mold problem in your business or residence, call a mold removal specialist to test your home and, if necessary, start the mold removal process. Mold is unlikely to harm many people, but it can cause serious problems for some.