Stucco Siding is a Leading Cause of Mold in Luxury Homes
Stucco is porous, retains moisture and becomes a breeding ground for mold. Stucco siding is a siding material that is made from cement, water, and lime. Stucco siding is applied in three coats on top of a lath base. It is used to provide a durable as well as a seamless exterior. Stucco siding is associated with some advantages which include its natural resistance to fire as well as its low maintenance. It is also an incredible insulator and helps to maintain a constant temperature in a home. It is entirely energy efficient, and this is part of the reason why it is quite popular especially in luxury homes in our Kansas City metro area.
However, stucco siding comes with some disadvantages too. This is especially if the stucco has been poorly installed or even if it has been poorly maintained. In most cases, damaged stucco can cause several problems which include mold, water damage, staining as well as cracking.
Mold and Stucco Siding
If the stucco siding is damaged or improperly installed, there will be excess moistures as well as water retention. This will cause mold to be a significant concern around your houses. Mold is not just a color stain, it can also cause significant health risks to your loved ones due to the spore produced.
If this happens in your home, you need to identify the water source and have it repaired. The affected stucco can be repaired or replaced altogether.
Preventing the Mold
To keep mold away from the stucco siding you have to make sure that you clean the wall regularly. Clean your walls at least once a week to take off any dirt off, grass or mud that might have collected on the walls. This is because there are no nutrients for the mold to feed on as they grow, then they will not grow. Also, make sure that the walls are always dry. Here in Kansas City, we live in a humid climate you will need to get a humidity monitor and monitor your indoor air humidity on a routine basis.
There are severe instances when their plaster of the stucco is compromised by a large amount of humidity and water. This can be either in case of a flood or dirt and moisture penetrating from the bottom of the wall. This will create the perfect environment for the mold to grow. To prevent these occurrences, you need to install a Premium Gutters: A Facade of Beautyproper drainage system for your home. Also, roof leaks can cause the same effects but on the upper part of the wall.
Removing the Mold
If you have a small amount of mold (less than 10 square feet) you can always clean it. All you need is to mix five parts of hot water with one part Dawn soap and spray it directly on the mold. Then scrub off the mold with a paper towel and repeat until clean. Do NOT use Bleach! Bleach only removes the color of mold and does kill the mold spore itself. If the mold is greater than 10 square feet or if you have a considerable amount of odor or illnesses it is recommended by the EPA to hire a professional mold contractor to remove the mold.